Florida Ag Recap, Week of Oct 5-9
October 9, 2009
This week in Florida Ag (via our Twitter page @freshfromfl)
- October is Seafood Month! Florida seafood available this week: Spiny lobster, red grouper, king mackerel, amberjack, flounder and Spanish mackerel
- PMA‘s Fresh Summit wrapped up earlier in the week. There was a Fresh from Florida pavilion (booth 2702) that housed several FL growers and companies.
- “Deadliest Catch” captains Sig Hansen and Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand will appear in TV spots and other media to promote Florida’s fishing industry.
- It’s National 4-H Week: Check out all the different events that Florida 4-H members around the state participated in.
- USDA and FDA are going to work together to develop new food safety rules.
- The Produce for Better Health Foundation has a free toolkit for retailers to help WIC participants use their new fruit and vegetable vouchers.
- Produce for Kids has a contest for schools going on called “Play with Your Produce Classroom Challenge.” Also: When you purchase produce items from the sponsors listed here at Publix stores this month, the sponsor will make a donation to support PBS Kids educational and nutrition programming.
- This month is Florida Greenways and Trails Month: here are events going on around Florida State Parks.
- Healthy habits begin in the womb – babies go on to prefer foods that their mothers ate while pregnant.
- Check out Florida wildflower photos by John Moran on our Facebook page.
- Going on around the state this week in Florida Ag: Cabbage and strawberries are being planted; peanuts, tomatoes, squash, eggplant and sweet corn are being harvested; avocados & okra are at markets
- Last but definitely not least, Florida Agriculture reached 3,000 fans on Facebook this week!
Check out our twitter for more news and updates!