I admit, it can be hard to get proper nutrition every morning. Time is often the main factor that prevents us from fueling up in the morning, but a lack of healthy choices is just as big of a problem. There is a vast array of convenient prepackaged breakfast foods available on the market, but unfortunately the majority of them are not considered healthy.
Starting the day on an empty stomach means that by the time we are ready to work our blood sugar levels are already too low. That’s when we often reach for a sugar-packed soda or pastry. A bagel with cream cheese, muffin or any fast food item may tide you over for a while, but is just more empty calories. Just because you eat something quick in the morning doesn’t mean you are giving your body what it needs.
I have come up with a few healthy and relatively quick breakfast ideas that will give you a boost to help make you feel good and motivated.
- Fresh fruit and yogurt smoothie. A smoothie can be very satisfying in the morning and can be enjoyed on the go. With fresh fruit, low-fat yogurt and some added supplements you get flavor and nutrition.
- Whole grain cereal with fruit. There are a lot of healthy cereals on the market and adding a couple servings of fresh fruit on top with a drizzle of honey can be scrumptious and healthy.
- Whole wheat breads such as toast, bagels, muffins or waffles is a good choice. And when combined with fresh fruit or a glass of juice, you have a simple and time-friendly breakfast.
- Leftovers are a great way to save time and money. Incorporate leftover veggies into a quick egg scramble.
- Low fat cottage cheese and fresh fruit can be made with little effort.
- Take advantage of seasonal fresh citrus. A grapefruit or orange with a slice of wheat toast can do wonders in the morning.
These are just a few tips that can make your day more productive and healthy. What do you like to eat in the morning?
photo from flickr