Healthy Eating Tips for Summer
Summer is here and there are plenty of seasonal foods to enjoy. We all need to learn to take advantage of the colors of summer. Vitamin and nutrient dense fruits and vegetables can be prepared in a healthy way during the summer months using responsible cooking practices.
Grilling fruit is one of my favorite ways to add flavor to any summer dish. Almost any fruit can be grilled, and that smoky grill flavor adds a new depth of flavor and twist to your favorite fruit. Watermelon, mango, peach and even citrus are some great examples of fruit you can grill.
Steaming is another cooking technique that I use on a regular basis for summer. I recently bought a small rice cooker/steamer and it is great to use. It doesn’t heat up the house, it’s very easy to clean and is one of the healthiest cooking methods available. I am able cook rice, veggies and a protein all at the same time. Nothing is easier than that!
Here are a few additional tips for healthy summer eating. Enjoy!
- Leave the skin on. Often times the skin is the most nutrient dense part of the fruit or vegetable. However, always remember to wash your produce before cooking with the skin on.
- Get into a healthy and diversified food routine. Skipping meals can lead to poor food choices.
- Portion size, portion size, portion size! This is one of the biggest problems for most Americans. Eat smaller portions of quality foods instead of large portions of unhealthy foods.
- Season your food with fresh herbs and spices instead of salt and fat.
- Choose your beverage wisely! Limit soft drinks loaded with sugar to one a day. Try brewing some fresh sun tea or making lemonade.
- Healthy snacks get can get you through the day. In between meals it is important to have snack time. Cut fresh raw veggies and fruit, unsalted nuts, yogurt and dried fruits are all good choices.
What other ways do you try to eat healthily during the summer?
Photo from Flickr