Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida
We have been promoting our contest for the Twelve Hours of Sebring like crazy on Twitter and Facebook this week! We are giving away 3 pairs of Superticket passes (access for all 4 days) to the race festivities. If you aren’t a racing enthusiast, though, I thought I’d take a second to explain what the 12 Hours of Sebring is and what Fresh from Florida has to do with it.
The 58th Annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring race occurs every year of the third Saturday of March (March 20th this year). Part of the American Le Mans Series, it is an endurance race where the teams actually race for 12 hours straight. Some legendary race car drivers that have won: Mario Andretti, Juan Manuel Fangio, A.J. Foyt, Briggs Cunningham, Stirling Moss. Some of the cars that are raced include models by Jaguar, Porsche, Maserati, Aston Martin, Nissan and Ferrari.
So, if you didn’t know much about the race before, are you getting the picture yet? It’s a pretty big deal in the world of racing. Not only do fans drive from all over the country to watch it in person, but it is typically broadcast on the SPEED channel. This presents a great opportunity to get the Fresh from Florida message out to a large, targeted audience.
Cool facts about Sebring and the 12 Hours race:
- Sebring International Raceway started as a World War II air base
- It’s the oldest permanent road racing track in North America
- Tom Kristensen has won the race 5 times, most recently in 2009
- The Porsche 935 holds the record for most wins (7)
- Actor Steve McQueen placed second in the race once (and was driving with a broken foot at the time)
- Other celebrities that have driven in the race: James Brolin, Gene Hackman, Craig T. Nelson, Paul Newman, Patrick Dempsey
- The track is 3.7 miles long and contains 17 turns
- Thirty-nine drivers from America have won the race, more than any other country
For more info on Sebring and the Twelve Hours race, check out Sebring International Raceway online.
Steve McQueen photo from flickr