Tailgate Recipe: Eggplant Dip
Submitted: Evan D.
1. roasting pan
2. food processor
3. frying pan
4. small pot
1. one eggplant – split lengthwie, ends removed
2. 2 cloves garlic – sliced thinly
3. one leek or small onion – sliced thinly. if using a leek, rinse it under cold water to remove dirt.
4. 1/4 cup (firmly packed) chopped cilantro leaves
5. 1 small baking potato
2. paprika – i used smoked spanish paprika
3. cumin powder
4. cayenne powder
5. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 365F
2. place potato in a pot and cover with cold water by 1-2 inches. boil until tender and place to the side.
3. poke 15-20 holes in the flesh side of the eggplant.
4. season the flesh side with seasonings 1-4 (equal amounts) and set aside for 15 minutes.
5. coat eggplant with olive oil and add more seasoning if some comes off.
6. place eggplant halves in roasting pan and roast for 30-40 minutes until flesh pulls away from skin.
7. while eggplant is cooking, saute leek/onion and garlic (unseasoned) in olive oil at medium-low heat until golden in color.
8. Assemble food processor.
9. Slice potato into 1/4″ pieces and rough chop.
10. place potato slices, eggplant, leek/onion, garlic into food processor.
11. pulse 8-10 times. check for consistency. add olive oil if needed.
12. add cilantro, pulse 4-5 times.
You can serve immediately, room temp or cold. Eat with warm pita or naan